Tuesday, June 5, 2012

When does it get easier?

Hey everyone,

So I've been in this current training cycle for about a week now. So far it's been going good for the most part, until yesterday... Yesterday I hit a bit of a road block. I got home from the hospital (where I "work") and had a bit of a migraine. So I didn't feel like doing my run right then and there. I decided to take a nap, try and make the headache go away. I didn't wake up again until around 8 when the boyfriend got home, and still had the migraine. I kept thinking to myself, that I should really just go out and do my run for the day... It was only going to be a mile, I could do that, right?

Well this is where I decided to listen to my body over what my mind was telling me. As I mentioned before, I am participating in Runners World's run a mile a day challenge. I had been doing SO well, and that was the main reason I REALLY didn't want to skip yesterday. I could have just shoved through a run, but would it really have been worth it? Most of the time starting the run is my biggest issue, but I do not thing that strategy would have worked yesterday. If you've ever had a migraine, you can relate to how I was feeling.

I'm very glad I decided to listen to my body and not go for a run. Although I'm a bit disappointed that I broke my run streak, if I would have ran, I think it only would have made me feel worse, and in the end, I don't think I would really have been pushing myself to do it for the right reasons.

After all, aren't you supposed to run because you enjoy it? For the high it gives you? For the chance to clear your mind, and just run? For how awesome you feel afterwards?

Today I got back on the running wagon. I did a 30 minute run, and ran about 2.81 miles, so a pace a little over 10:30 minute miles. It was a tough run. I started feeling really tired, but I pushed through, and felt great when it was all over. That is when you need to push yourself. When the running gets tough, you push to keep going. Push the time, push the distance, whatever is right for you at the time, listening to your body.

While I now feel great after tonights run and feel this newfound energy (one of the reasons I love running, the burst you get after), I can't help but realize, this is not the first time I've run this distance or this length of time, yet it felt harder than any other time I've run this long/far. Shouldn't it be getting easier?? I know some people in the past have mentioned adapting a run/walk method when they feel like they are hitting a wall, call me stubborn, but I just don't want to do that right now. I know I can do the distance, I know I can do the time. So why did this one feel so much harder?

Yes it could have been that my pace picked up a bit, especially in the beginning, maybe I'm just trying to push too hard too soon, but I'm impatient, and know I should be able to do this, and it's very frustrating to me. I had this goal of making my race in under 30 minutes this weekend, but at this point I'm not quite sure that's going to happen, and I guess I need to be okay with that. I guess it all comes back to listening to your body. If you're pushing it too hard, and not able to improve at the rate you think you should be, it's time to turn it down a notch.

I've come up with a new goal for this weekend, and that's just simply to get through, push myself and do the best I can.

How's your training going? Any upcoming races for anyone?

Until next time!

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment